Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11, 2013

     Good morning. So this morning the electric went out. My husband had only been home from work for about a hour and I had only been awake for a few minutes. I thought ok a chance to see how my preps will work. Percolator found coffee made, sitting at kitchen table drinking coffee and listening to battery powered radio, these were my thoughts and concerns. Water, I definitely don't have enough potable water on hand. I have a little over a gallon, but my plan was to get fresh spring water from a source close to home. This plan was made in the summer when it was warmer and also before Mom needed such close attention paid to her. I would not have been able to leave her alone to walk and get water if I had needed to. Also when I planned for water usage it was before Mom needed extra water every morning for personal bathing. So I need to come up with a new plan for water. This is good I find out now where the areas are that need attention and correction before we have to be with out electricity for a long extended period. So back to when I was setting at the table, percolated coffee in hand and listening to the battery powered radio. I realized that I need a better radio than I have, I was using a small alarm clock type radio. I could only find two stations and one was K Love which is national and the other station may have been more local but I am not sure I didn't listen long enough to tell, I would rather listen to K Love anytime anyway. So another area on concern and needing correction is a good working radio and I also need to find out what station is local so I can tune in to it if needed. Ok yet again back to me sitting at the table drinking my percolated coffee I hear something, like a machine running in the distance. How could anything be running with the power out? Hum... Well I guess the next lesson I learned this morning was to check and see if the electric was really out or if just a fuse had blown. Yep the deep freezer was running. The fuse that ran the rest of the house had blown but not the one that works the laundry room. Live and learn. But I did learn a lot this morning. I guess that is why a lot of prepper sites urge you to shut off all your electric for a period to test yourself and your preps.  
     So the stomach bug that I had over the weekend is now gone. That was one nasty bug. My husband is such a great help with Mom. I couldn't ask for a more caring, loving, and understanding husband.
     I need to go get this day going. Have a good day.

                                                    April Whitehair

No comments:

Post a Comment