Tuesday, August 6, 2013

August 6, 2013

     Good morning. Its been a good morning so far. My husband got up and took out the trash and put a roast in the crock pot for dinner. Now he is out trying to play golf before the rain that might come this afternoon. Mom is still asleep, the first full night of sleep for her in two nights, she might have slept 40 minutes total over the last two nights. I forgot to tell you about her pedicure I gave her on Sunday. Well I decided that I would try again to cut her toe nails because they were getting to the point of going to see a podiatrist. So I set up a home pedicure for her. I am not a big fan of cutting nails and messing with other people's feet but sometimes you have to just do things you don't like. Large tub of warm soapy water to soak your feet in sounds good to me, to Mom its torture. By reading online the best ways to soften hard toenails and finding out it basically is just soak for ten to thirty minutes, that was my mission. Once her feet were in the water, her kicked back on the couch, watching a good tv show, soda pop (her favorite) in reach, and her dog sleeping next to her all I heard was yuck, I hate this, why am I doing this, and this is awful. Seriously! I would have loved it. With a lot of encouragement and a little sternness she lasted twenty minutes. Then I kinda tricked her by continuing the soak while rubbing exfoliator all over her feet and lower legs. Which she complained because I got her pant leg a little wet. Will she ever be happy? People pay lots of money for this kind of treatment. After the soak and scrub came time to cut. The big toe nails are the problem, the other toes are no problem. I was able to cut some of the big toe nails off. Not as much as I would have liked. But good enough to hold off the podiatrist visit for now. Then came the good rub down with lotion. I would have liked her to set there with her feet uncovered for a while but she wasn't having that. She never goes with out shoes and socks, ever. I think she needs to go bare foot every once and a while. She has a bad foot odor problem. I tossed out all her old shoes and bought her new ones. She was not happy about that. But I could not continue to let her wear those shoes any longer. She had had many 'accidents' in those shoes and washing them did not help. At some point the health and safety of a person out weighs their independence and wants. This is a difficult concept for me. She don't like her new shoes but they fit and don't smell. But she never likes anything new.  
     Yesterday I got all the laundry done that I wanted to get done. The laundry is never really done. Someone is always changing clothes or taking a shower. I got a call from my sister yesterday and we had a nice conversation on gardening and raising chickens. I love it that there is someone else beginning to think like me in my family. Someone to share ideas with and who doesn't think I am just plain crazy for worrying about gmos and pesticides.
     I have things I would like to get done today. But nothing is going to get done by sitting here and typing. Have a good day.

                                                                 April Whitehair 

No comments:

Post a Comment