Monday, May 13, 2013

     Coffee time again. Good morning. Yesterday evening we had a Mother's Day celebration for my mommy. Two of my three sisters came to join in the fun. Plus my sister's husband and three of mom's grand kids were here also. I made strawberry rhubarb upside down cake. And it was yummy. Poor mom didn't remember any of our names but I think she had a good time anyway. I love it when we all get together, we just sit around and tell stories and laugh a lot.  Of course I talked about prepping and gave my one sister and brother in law some things to think about. They had watched Doomsday Preppers on tv before, which I have never watched, and I think had the idea that all preppers are over the top hoarders and a little crazy. I told them to read my blog posts about prepping and start small. Prepare for a power outage, food and water for their family. I hope they, as well as everyone,  start thinking about the possibilities and get ready for those situations.
     Last night was cold. I am not sure how cold it got but I did cover all my little baby plants growing outside. Just went outside and uncovered all of them and they look good. One set of  peas looked a little flattened from the towel that I had put on them but hopefully they bounce back in the sun today. Tonight is another frost warning so I will cover them back up and keep them warm. I love my little garden.
     So the plants that I haven't got in the ground yet are doing good. The strawberry plants are so tiny that I am afraid to put them outside yet. The bell peppers are growing like crazy. And some more of the watermelon seeds from last years watermelons have started growing. I learned a little to late from my prepper research that I was suppose to save 10% of my seeds for next year. Well I planted them all and now have way to many plants growing. Hopefully I will have a good harvest and get lots of seeds. I also would like to set up a table at the farmers market if I have to much for us to eat. Also would like to learn to can. But I am a little scared about that. We will see.
     Have a good day.

                                                              April Whitehair

No comments:

Post a Comment