Saturday, May 25, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent and Fabric Softener

     Good morning. Headache from yesterday is finally gone. It lasted for over 24 hours. I thought that I was going to die. I hate headaches so bad.
    It is cold out. The thermometer on the front porch says 30 degrees. Good thing I went out last night and covered up all the garden. My yard looks like a linen closet exploded. Oh well as long as my garden lives another day.
    Today I have a lot of cleaning to do. Not my favorite thing. But with not doing much yesterday I have a lot to do to make up for. I always seem to have lots of laundry.  And I will have even more with covering the garden with sheets. Its a good thing that I make my own laundry detergent. It really does save me lots of money. I am not good at math so I have never done the math on how much I have actually saved by making my own. But others have done the math and it is a lot of saving. I thought I should show you my recipe. I hope it saves someone else some money as well.

Homemade Laundry Detergent 
4 cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar or Zote soap bar
1 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (not baking soda)
1/2 cup Borax
Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap is melted.
 
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
 
Makes 10 gallons
 5/8 Cup per load

Homemade Fabric Softener

1 cup hair conditioner, any kind, what ever you have
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
3 cups hot water

Mix together.
Pour into an old fabric softener bottle.
Use the same amount of this as you would the store bought kind.

I hope to hear how this works for you. It works for me. The laundry detergent is not sudsy. So don't think it is not working.

Have a good day.

                                             April Whitehair

No comments:

Post a Comment