Sunday, June 2, 2013

Volleyball

     Good morning. I played volleyball last night, and I can say I am not sore at all this morning. That's a good thing. It was the first time of the summer. My cousins put up a volleyball net in there yard every summer and on Saturday evenings we all go play. There are several that play. I think I counted 19 in all last night. There are several teenagers that play and I think that is wonderful, they could be doing other things on a Saturday night but at least they are somewhere safe and not getting into trouble. The game is just for fun. We do keep score but that is just for bragging rights. There is always a good conversation or two and a lot of laughs. My mom will try to play and she is 72 and has Alzheimer's, mostly she stands there but she enjoys feeling like apart of the game. I feel that mom being there is teaching everyone something. Like how to be around someone with medical/memory difficulties, how to be polite and caring, how to show compassion and respect. A lot of time people and teens included will avoid or make fun of someone with differences. But I can tell you that over the years of playing volleyball with mom she has earned quite a few laughs, rightfully. And has promoted teamwork on her team because everyone on her team has to work together to cover her and help prevent her from getting hit by the ball. Last night she actually got to hit the ball once. I am so thankful that we have a great family that will accept mom for who she is, that all love to get together, and will drop everything anytime anyone would need anything. These are the best blessings, having a wonderful family, having wonderful friends that are like family, and having the ability to all get together and have a good time. Sometimes I think we all take for granted these wonderful things that a lot of people don't have. I for one am glad to be apart of this family.
     Have a good day.

                                                                April Whitehair

No comments:

Post a Comment